This next block is by the lovely Jenn who some of you may have got to know in the Facebook CAL Group where she is one of the three fabulous Admins that help out there.
With this next block we have another technique to add to our growing repertoire; the crochet basket-weave stitch! This stitch is made up of sets of front and back post UK treble/ US double crochet stitches that creates a fabric with a woven texture. Jenn has used a unique variation of the basket-weave crochet effect for her block which I just love!
This square is currently free on Ravelry and will be forever (yay!).
Although we are on block 13 there is still plenty of time to catch up – the full schedule and details about the CAL can be found here.
Click on the link in the title below to go straight to the pattern or add it to your Ravelry queue here.
Will’s 12 inch Weave Square by Jennifer Bregg
- Hook: 5.5 mm (US Size I)
- Yarn: Aran / 10 ply / Worsted / Weight #4
- Colours: I would suggest at least three different colours
- Pattern uses American and UK crochet terms: NOTE: the US terminology comes FIRST in this pattern (as the author is American) so be careful UK peeps!
- US fptr/UK fpdtr – yarn over twice, place hook around the post of the dc/tr from the previous row (front to back and bring to the front), yarn over, pull around post. Slip last yarn over through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull through last 2 loops.
- US bptr/UK bpdtr – yarn over twice, place hook around the post of the dc/tr from the previous row (back to front and bring to the back), yarn over, pull around post. Slip last yarn over through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull through last 2 loops.
Ta dah!! This is my version of this square using my colour palette (I blogged about this here). I really like basket-weave stitch so was really pleased to have it incorporated in a block for the CAL, I love the kind of ombre effect the pattern and the use of my fondant, plum and magenta colours together in the centre have.
Don’t forget to stay tuned for the next block to be released on July 8th (or 9th)